Facts about Solar energy are too many

Bookmark and Share

Here are only 30 of them

10 Facts about Solar Energy in General:

  • Solar Energy and Solar Power are two different things.

  • Solar energy, is the energy of the sun, and it arrives to earth as light and thermal radiation.

  • Converting sunlight to electricity, produces the solar power.

  • Sun is a star.

  • The surface of the Sun mostly consists of hydrogen (about 74%) and helium (about 24%).The light we see at earth is produced when electrons react with hydrogen atoms.

  • Thus, Sun will eventually "light off". When hydrogen atoms are exhausted then it will stop shining. Luckily, that day is far away yet!

  • Ginormous quantities of energy arrive at earth every day. About 30% of it, is radiated back to space and the other 70% is absorbed by clouds, oceans and soil.

  • Researches show that every hour, clouds, oceans and soil absorb approximately 440 exajoules (EJ) of energy. This is more than earth's annual needs.

  • Humans used solar energy long ago. Have you heard about greenhouses or North/South facing windows?

  • Solar Energy can be used for cooling as well!

  • Facts About Solar Energy

10 + 1 Facts about Solar Energy Panels:

  • Solar Energy Systems can be very expensive to install.


  • Sun is FREE! So you get free energy after the installation.

  • Solar Panels need very little maintenance. You just have to keep them clean from dust for maximum efficiency.

  • We can harvest Solar Energy in a lot of ways. Some examples can be Photovoltaics, Solar Thermal Panels, or others.

  • You can use solar thermal panels to heat water or air and
    photovoltaic panels to make electricity for your house.

  • These systems will NEVER harm the environment.

  • They are quiet and safe.

  • The angle of solar panels should be the same as the altitude that your house is built at for maximum efficiency.

  • A Photovoltaic Solar System can be stand alone (using batteries) or grid connected.

  • If your grid connected photovoltaic Solar System produces more energy than you consume, then most companies will buy the extra energy from you.

  • PV/T (photovoltaic thermal) panels is a combination of thermal panels (water heaters) and photovoltaics. They are more efficient and less space consuming.

  • Facts About Solar Energy

10 - 1 Facts about Solar Energy Cells (Photovoltaics):

  • The Photovoltaic effect (the theory behind pv cells) was explained by Albert Einstein. He won his only Nobel prize for that.

  • Photovoltaic cells will continue to work during a cloudy day.

  • Commercial Photovoltaic cells maximum efficiency is currently about 16%

  • Scientists have developed more efficient cells which are used on space projects.

  • This means that in the next few years, a photovoltaic system will be much more powerful than now.

  • New designs absorb the sun's radiation during the day and produce electricity at night too!

  • If your system can not produce any power (because of bad weather lets say) then you will still have electricity. Either using your backup batteries or the grid system you are connected on.

  • Governments and banks provide special financial help to install a PV system on your house.

  • PV cells efficiency will fell a little after the first 10 years but they will be working just fine for about 25 years.

P.S. Here are some of the most interesting facts about solar energy I think. However, if you want to install a solar energy system on your house, then you might need to have a look at residential solar energy or even at How does Solar Energy Work article.

P.P.S. You can also install other systems to utilise renewable energy, such as a windmill or a biomass powered heater.

If you need more information and facts about solar energy or other renewable sources, here is what you are looking about.

HomeSitemapContact Us
HomeSitemapContact Us